The number of non-cash payments is growing every day. Many advanced countries have long been building a #cashless economy and refuse to pay by cash. Banks cease to serve customers at the box office, motivating them to use Internet banking. Online stores optimize logistics using several outsourcing services and offering customers to pay online. Today there is no time to be engaged with cash. At the same time non-cash payment raises concerns. This does not mean that non-cash payments should be avoided. You need to use reliable services and be careful.
On this page we collect everything we find in the Internet about fraud with electronic payments and payment cards. We believe that after reading the material every conscious user will be able to save himself from trouble.
This is illegal copying of card data. Usually 2 devices are involved: a tiny camera for recording how a person enters a PIN code, and a device for reading data from a magnetic strip of a card.
The camera is installed hidden, removes through a tiny hole. The reader can be installed on / in the ATM card reader.
The fraudster synchronizes video and data from the reader. As a result they make a copy of the card and withdraw money from an ATM using a PIN code.
This approach is very similar to skimming, with the only difference is that instead of a data reader, a listening device is used which intercepts data from the magnetic stripe of the card. The device is installed inside the ATM through the holes on the front panel, which are then sealed with “service” stickers.
Scammers steal data from a payment card chip. For this a special device is installed inside the ATM. Successful such kind of attacks have not yet been fixed.
Fraudsters install a special cover on the cash dispenser slot. It blocks the issuance of banknotes to the user. Scammers take out the money with the pad after the user leaves the ATM.
Fraudsters install a special device into the ATM card reader that prevents the card from being issued to the user. A hidden camera is installed on the ATM, fixing the input PIN-code. If the user leaves without taking the card, the fraudsters take it out and withdraw money, using the PIN code recorded on the camera.
Fraudsters call the user and pretending as an employee of a bank or police, lure confidential information about the card, then use it to get money.
Fraudsters lure payment card details from users through fake websites, sms and e-mail for further withdrawals.
How to protect yourself?
Scammers today are so fast and skillful that it’s impossible to protect yourself 100%. But you can save yourself from trouble by being vigilant, observing the simplest rules of security. Here are the main ones:
- Inspect the ATM. Additional equipment, overlays, badly “seated” service and advertising stickers, strange holes are a reason to look for another cash withdrawal device.
- Inspect the slot for cash. Strange lining, additional devices, traces of scotch – a reason not to get involved with this ATM.
- If the card unusually tightly enters the card reader, it is better to take it and look for another ATM.
- If the ATM did not issue cash or a card, and especially if the SMS about the success of the operation came, do not leave the ATM, call the bank.
- Always cover the keyboard when entering a PIN.
- Regularly change your PIN.
- Set limits for cash withdrawals at ATMs and on the Internet.
- Remember that employees of banks and government agencies can not require you to provide all the information about your cards.
- Do not trust random wins, calls from unfamiliar numbers or from strangers.
- Не пользуйтесь подозрительными сайтами, смс или e-mail.